How to Style a Chest of Drawers?
Elevate Your Space: Chic and Functional Drawer Decor
Decorating a chest of drawers can effortlessly elevate the aesthetic of any room, striking the right balance between well-chosen organisation and thoughtful accent pieces. By following our guidelines, you can enhance the elegance and functionality of your chest of drawers.
Begin with Attractive Essentials
Starting with a clean slate is essential to successful styling. Your first move should be to pay attention to the space above your chest of drawers, which will serve as essential. This could be a wall mirror or framed art that can set the tone for the rest of the décor. The shape and placement of this anchor can depend on the size and location of the chest. A circular mirror, for instance, can visually balance the vertical lines of a chest of drawers.
Add Vertical Elements
Once the anchor is established, adding vertical elements can give your chest of drawers some height. This could be anything from tapered candlesticks to a bone-inlay vase or a lamp. Ensure that the tall object is shorter than your anchor, so they complement rather than compete with each other.
Include Simple and Understated Pieces
Choosing the right accent pieces is vital in styling a chest of drawers. Pieces that are calm and highlight fond memories are recommended. A couple of framed photos or a stack of your favorite books could be an excellent addition. It's all about mixing materials and shapes to create a unique and inviting look.
Add Storage Solutions
Styling a chest of drawers is just as much about the organisation as it is about aesthetics. Thoughtful storage accessories, such as ceramic bowls or rattan trays, can help keep the top of your drawers tidy. These can be ideal places for everyday items like keys or jewelry, and trays can organise perfumes or vitamins.
Add Layers, Edit, and Repeat
Styling is not a one-time event but an ongoing process that can evolve with your taste and the changing seasons. Leaving a bit of blank space on the surface is crucial for a functional setup. Start by layering pieces. Lean smaller frames against larger ones, place decorative items on top of book stacks and keep experimenting until you find a setup that appeals to you.
Can a Chest of Drawers Replace a Wardrobe?
If space is a concern, a chest of drawers can indeed replace a wardrobe. It offers ample storage without the need for the full-length hanging space that most wardrobes provide. Therefore, a chest of drawers can be an efficient alternative to traditional wardrobes in bedrooms where space is at a premium.
How to Upcycle Your Chest of Drawers?
Breathing new life into an old chest of drawers is easier than you think. Here are some ideas:
- Change the Color with Paint: A fresh coat of paint can dramatically alter the look of your chest of drawers.
- Repurpose as a Home Bar: Remove some drawers, add shelves, or wine racks, and you have yourself a stylish home bar.
- Install Nail head Trim: This simple addition can make your chest of drawers look sophisticated and upscale.
- Turn It into a Rolling Tool Chest: With added wheels and organizing compartments, your chest of drawers can be transformed into a functional tool chest.
- Restore the Wood: If your chest of drawers has a beautiful wood grain, consider restoring it by sanding it down and applying a fresh coat of varnish or stain.
- Decoupage the Drawer Fronts: For a fun and artistic touch, decoupage the drawer fronts with patterned paper or fabric.
Styling a chest of drawers requires a balanced blend of creativity, aesthetic sensibility, and organisation skills. With these tips and tricks, you can turn an ordinary chest of drawers into an extraordinary piece of home décor.